Canada’s Senior Women’s 15s head coach Sandro Fiorino has announced his match day roster that will face Wales on November 21st at Cardiff Arms Park.
November 19, 2021 (Cardiff, WAL) - Canada’s Senior Women’s 15s head coach Sandro Fiorino has announced his match day roster that will face Wales on November 21st at Cardiff Arms Park. It’s the final fixture of the women’s Fall Tour, presented by DHL Rugby.
The Fall Tour marks the first series of test matches Canada has played since November, 2019, with a total of 35 athletes having been selected. The team’s previous three matches against the USA and Number 1 ranked England created vital opportunities for the team to implement the systems and strategies that were developed through the isolation period of COVID-effected operations. Sunday’s test will once again allow the group to move one step closer in their preparations for the upcoming Rugby World Cup in New Zealand in October, 2022.
“I am very proud of how our team has performed since returning to play,” said Fiorino. “There have been many positives to take away, as well as a number of areas that have been identified for us to work on as we continue to develop as a group. We are all looking forward to this final match.”
Led by Carys Phillips, Wales were victorious over their South African opponents in their most recent November 13th test match at Cardiff Arms Park. Phillips led the Welsh attack scoring three tries in the contest, while teammate Elinor Snowsill added three conversions and a penalty goal en route to a 29-19 win.
“Wales have performed well in their two most recent matches,” added Fiorino. “They will provide us with another excellent opportunity to see where we are as a team against quality opposition, and get our players more key game time as we prepare for the World Cup.”
Veteran players Karen Paquin, Brianna Miller and Laura Russell are rested for this game which will create opportunities or some new faces. Justine Pelletier and Veronica Harrigan will get their first starts this tour, while Ngalula Fuamba cracks the lineup as a finisher. Marie Thibault and Sarah-Maude Lachance get back into action for the first time in this second leg of the Fall Fixture Tour.
Canada’s Senior Women’s 15s team kick off against Wales on November 21st at Cardiff Arms Park. The match begins at 12:00pm ET/ 9:00 am PT and will be available to view live in Canada on TSN.ca or through the TSN app, with an encore tape-delayed broadcast on TSN2 at 12:30am ET/9:30pm PT. For more information, please visit www.rugby.ca.
CANADA’S WOMEN’S RUGBY TEAM’S MATCH DAY ROSTER
1. Olivia DeMerchant - Mapledale, NB - Exeter Chiefs/Halifax Tars RFC
2. Veronica Harrigan - Lucan, ON - Brantford Harlequins
3. DaLeaka Menin - Vulcan, AB - Exeter Chiefs
4. Tyson Beukeboom - Uxbridge, ON - Cowichan RFC
5. Emma Taylor - Scotsburn, NS - Halifax Rugby Football Club
6. Courtney Holtkamp - Rimbey, AB - Red Deer Titans
7. Fabiola Forteza - Quebec, QC - Club de Rugby de Quebec/Stade Bordelais
8. Gabrielle Senft - Regina, SK - Castaway Wanderers/University of Victoria Vikes
9. Justine Pelletier - Riviere-du-Loup, QC - Les Lionnes du stade bordelais/ Club de Rugby de Quebec
10. Emily Belchos de Goede - Innisfil, ON - Westshore RFC
11. Paige Farries - Red Deer, AB - Worcester Warriors/Westshore RFC
12. Alexandra Tessier - Sainte-Clotilde-de-Horton, QC - Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue RFC
13. Sara Kaljuvee - Ajax, ON - Toronto Scottish/ University of Victoria Vikes
14. Sabrina Poulin - St-Georges, QC – Town of Mount Royal Rugby/Stade Rennais
15. Elissa Alarie - Trois-Rivieres, QC - Westshore RFC/ Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue RFC/Braves de Trois-Riviéres
16. Emily Tuttosi - Souris, MB - Exeter Chiefs
17. Brittany Kassil - Guelph, ON - Guelph Redcoats
18. Alex Ellis - Ottawa, ON - Barrhaven Scottish/Saracens
19. Ngalula Fuamba – Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot, QC - Town of Mount Royal Rugby
20. Pamphinette Buisa - Gatineau, QC – Canada Women’s 7’s/Ottawa Irish
21. Marie Thibault - Quebec, QC - Club de Rugby de Quebec
22. Sarah-Maude Lachance - Victoriaville, QC - Lons Section Paloise Rugby Feminin / Club de Rugby de Quebec
23. Renee Gonzalez - Toronto, ON - Westshore RFC/University of Victoria Vikes
ABOUT RUGBY CANADA
Rugby Canada is the national governing body of the sport of Rugby Union in Canada. They administer and operate Men’s and Women’s Senior and Junior National programs in both rugby 15s and 7s, as well as govern the Club and community game for more than 30,000 registered participants from coast to coast in conjunction with ten Provincial Union members.
Rugby Canada is headquartered at the Al Charron National Training Centre in Langford, BC, residing on the unceded territories of the Coast Salish, Á,LEṈENEȻ ȽTE (W̱SÁNEĆ), Te’mexw Treaty Association, and Lekwungen/Songhees peoples, with staff also working from Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa. Rugby Canada business operations, programs and events are delivered nationwide, including the internationally recognized HSBC Canada Sevens annual tournaments.